Masala Vada Recipe in EnglishJuly 26, 2020
Masala vada is a very crispy and tasty snack that anyone would love to have it with coffee or tea. Here is the simple way to make masala vada by using moong dal / lentils.
Split moong dal / lentils – 1 cup
Red chillies – 2 to 3
Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
Onion – 1 (chopped)
Hing / asafoetida
salt – 1 tsp
oil – 2 cups for deep frying
How to Make Masala Vada:
1. Wash and soak the Lentils or moong dal for 2 hours and drain in a colander for a few minutes.
2. Keep a side 2-3 tbsp of the moong dal and grind the rest into an almost smooth paste without adding any water. Add the kept whole soaked dal to this.
3. Add all the ingredients i.e., ginger, onion, hing, salt, chopped curry leaves and red chillies. Mix all ingredients well.
4. Apply little oil on our palm. Take a lime-sized ball of the mixture and make into a smooth ball. Repeat with rest of the moong dal mixture and keep it separately on a plate.
6. Heat oil in a medium sized deep pan or kadai and gently add 2-3 of the vada in it (depending on the size of your kadai, taking care not to overcrowd the vada )
7. Fry until both sides turn golden brown
8. Drain and set aside on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the shaped vada mixture.
Moong dal masala vada is ready. Usually masala vada with thick coconut chutney goes well. We can also have it with tomato sauce. This is totally optional but highly recommended.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 12 Masala vada