MYSORE MASALA DOSA 2020July 25, 2020
Masala dosa is basically South Indian breakfast. Especially this is Karnataka food which is very famous and known as Mysore masala dosa. Also, this is a very easy, simple and less time-consuming dish to make.
Ingredients for Dosa batter:
Rice – 1cup
Urad dal – ½ cup
Fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp
Ingredients for Potato masala:
Boiled Potatoes – 2 medium sized
Chopped onion – 1
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Chana dal – 1tbsp
Curry leaves – 5
Oil – 2tbsp
Hing/asafetida – a pinch
Green chilies – 2
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Red Chutney:
Red dry chilies – 3
Onion – 1
Chana dal – 3tbsp
Garlic – 5 cloves
Salt as needed
• Heat a pan, add 2 spoons of oil. Roast chana dal, red chilies in medium flame.
• Add onion, garlic along with and grind it by adding only little water. Make sure that chutney should be thick enough.
How to make Potato Masala:
• Boil potatoes, peel off and cut it as small cubes. Or else you can mash the potatoes.
• Heat the oil in a medium size pan. Add Mustard seeds. When it starts crackle add chana dal. Fry it nicely.
• Add hing, green chilies, curry leave and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute.
• Now add finely chopped onion. Fry it till the rawness of onion goes off.
• Add potatoes to the seasoning and mix very well. Put required salt.
• Topping with the chopped cilantro on it.
Preparation for Dosa batter:
• Wash and soak rice, Urad dal and fenugreek seeds separately. Soak about minimum 4 hrs. Reserve the water of soaked rice.
• Grind rice smooth using reserved water.
• Grind urad dal and fenugreek seeds together. Pour all these batter to a jar and then mix them thoroughly.
• Let the batter set for at least for 6-8hrs. Then add salt as required.
• Heat a tawa on medium flame. Apply 1tsp of oil on it so that dosa will not stick to the Tawa.
• Take a big spoonful of batter, pour it on tawa. Quickly spread it or make it flat with the help of the same spoon in a round manner. While it is cooking add a tablespoon of red spicy chutney and spread evenly using the back of a spoon.
• Let it roast for a while, when dosa turns into slightly golden brown, add potato masala on it. No need to flip the dosa.
• Wrap it from both the edges, then take it out of Tawa.
Masala dosa is ready to serve.
You can add poha for dosa batter (soak for half an hour and grind smooth paste).
Masala dosa tastes more with sambar and also with peanuts chutney.
Do not add too much of water for dosa batter.
You can also sprinkle Chutney powder (recipe is in my other blog) on dosa instead of red chutney while roasting. It gives nice taste to dosa.